I think all Harry Potter fans can agree that the most exciting thing about WWOHP and the studio tour in London is that muggles finally get to taste butterbeer. However, I don't know about any of you, but when I visited the studio tour last year I found the butterbeer to be a little underwhelming. It didn't taste at all the way I had imagined Butterbeer to taste. It was sweeter than I had expected and the flavours were a little too artificial for my liking.
So today I thought I would share with you my own recipe for butterbeer. This isn't the chilled, bottled butterbeer Winky drowned her sorrows with. This is a hot, steaming
- 1 cup of milk (I just measure it in the mug I'll be drinking from)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp butter
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan over a medium-high heat
- Add the rest of the ingredients
- Stir gently until the sugar and butter are completely melted and the milk is heated through but don't let the mixture reach boiling point
- If you want you can use a hand mixer to froth up the mixture but I didn't bother
- Pour it into your favourite mug and enjoy!
If it's not quite buttery enough for you then you can always add a little more and tailor the recipe to your preference. I definitely recommend using the real stuff though, if you can. I'm not sure wizards are working with Flora or olive oil substitutes!